Preventing back pain. How to lessen back pain.
In solving any problem, the first thing to do is identify the cause. Lessening and preventing back pain from sitting in front of a computer too long should also be taken this way. To prevent back pain, its cause should be explored. Is it from a sit that is too low? Bad posture? Knowing what gives you pain will help you identify the best action to prevent it.
As a freelancer, my motto is Ã‚Â‘have laptop, will travel.Ã‚Â’ I can work as long as there is a computer and Internet connection. In a normal day, I am in front of my laptop, typing nearer to my million$$$, 12 to 18 hours a day. I do earn great money, but freelancing also means taking care of my health more than I did when I was in the rat race.
To prevent back pain, I did and do the following:
1. I invested in an ergonomic chair and table which cost more than usual, but in the long run is worth much more. I will buy a more ergonomic chair next month
2. Every hour or so, I take a break Ã‚Â– I go to the kitchen and drink a glass of water, I play with my dog, Zaggy, for few minutes, I stretch my shoulders, my back and my neck OR I lay down on my bed to stretch my back
Now, I admit that doing all these does not mean a back pain-free freelancing life. Every now and then, my neck, shoulders Ã‚Â– specially my right shoulder, and back pains me. Once in a blue moon my shoulder aches like the devil. So, I do the following to lessen the pain:
1. I take a nap Ã‚Â– sometimes rest is all you need for the pain to go away
2. I call for a home massage service Ã‚Â– this, I assure you, not only lessens the pain, but also relaxes the body and the mind
3. I use a topical muscle relaxant Ã‚Â– ask your local pharmacist for it. I donÃ‚Â’t take any oral medication for pain Ã‚Â– it is so very easy to be addicted to painkillers
4. I go to the spa once a month Ã‚Â– I stay in the Jacuzzi, steam bath and sauna for an hour or so. Heavenly feeling!
In the future, I plan to do the following to better manage my health;
1. Enroll in a yoga class and attend diligently
2. Walk my dog regularly, and hence walk myself too. Right now, I only do it once in a while. Honestly, right now, my maid does it more often than I do.
Of course, getting a comprehensive medical insurance is also a must. I have one which has a benefit component. My medical plan requires me to pay a slightly higher medical premium for 5 years, and then for five years after or until my medical fund is exhausted I continue receiving the medical benefits included in the plan.
Working on your own means that you have to take care of everything that others did for you when you were working for others. Make sure that ALL your insurance plans are updated.
Happy freelancing and please stay healthy.